2 Busy Saying Yeah 20: Under the Influence of Warm Weather (and Beer)
Spring time finally hit Oakland last week and for some reason my response was to stay indoors and mix two hours of breezy warm weather sounds. The tracks are mostly late seventies/early eighties disco and soul records but I took some weird turns somewhere in there. There are also two new releases I really like from Trusme and U-Tern.
The mixing is kind of casual. I let a lot of records play long, which meant I had the time to make and eat a sandwich, go to the fridge for a few beers, etc. while recording. This enhanced my relaxation and contentment while making the show. I hope the mix does the same for you.
Subscribe: RSS iTunes Google Yahoo
1. Martin L. Dumas, Jr. : Attitude, Belief & Determination
2. Ramsey Lewis : Sun Goddess
3. Arnie's Love : I Think I'm Out of Your Life
4. Willie Hutch : Easy Does It
5. Cassiano : Onda (Wave)
6. Trusme : Put It On Me
7. D.J. Rogers : Will You Remember Me?
8. One Way : Didn't You Know It
9. Royalle Delite : (I'll Be a) Freak For You
10. Spade Brigade : I'm Your Man
11. The Harden Brothers : Deep Inside of You
12. Steve Parks : Movin' In the Right Direction
13. Odyssey : Battened Ships
14. The Jackson Sisters : I Believe In Miracles
15. Dennis Coffey : Theme From Black Belt Jones
16. Carl Davis & the Chi-Sound Orchestra : Windy City Theme
17. Wood, Brass & Steel : Say What You Want to Say
18. Universe City : Can You Get Down
19. Cloud One : Spaced Out
20. Greg Henderson : Dreamin'
21. Ethel Beatty : I Know You Care (U-Tern Edit)
22. The Ritchie Family : I'll Do My Best
23. California Flight Project : California Flight
24. Paulinho Da Costa : Deja Vu feat. Philip Bailey
25. Teddy Pendergrass : The More I Get, the More I Want
Had I known about them last week, I would definitely have played the face-melting original version of “I Believe in Miracles” and maybe Dmitri from Paris’s re-rub of Teddy Pendergrass. (BTW, am I the only DJ in the world who thinks Teddy's version is miles better than the Lorraine Johnson cover?)
The excellent California Flight Project track was just issued on vinyl for the first time by People's Potential Unlimited, but there's a gang of other material by them on Amazon, CD Baby, etc. I see that Jerry J is playing at Ghirardelli Square Saturday and I'm almost tempted to cross the bridge to see what that's about.
For what it's worth, I'm toying with the idea of devoting full-length mixes to two of the artists featured on the mix, Willie Hutch and D.J. Rogers.